Posted on: December 31, 2021
Creating a tagline is one thing, but creating a memorable tagline is another. Taglines should be a true reflection of your business. Yet at the same time, it needs to set you apart from your competition. So, when coming up with a tagline, it needs to be catchy enough to the consumer and make you distinct from your competitor.
Five Ways for Effective Brand Positioning
There are five ways that you can position your brand while generating an effective, memorable tagline. You want something that will stick in the minds of your intended demographic so when they hear the slogan, they will automatically reference you.
- Positioning for Quality of Service. Professional firms use this tactic, but it is the least effective because it is too generic. An example is “We exceed your expectations”. It just doesn’t stand out.
- Role-Focused Specialization. This targets a function within an organization like “We help business owners be more productive”. It targets a group of people instead of an industry/service. The advantage is that the buyer perceives you as more tuned into their specific needs.
- Industry Specialization. This allows you to focus marketing efforts and evolve the services you offer as the market evolves. It provides the optics of having a deep understanding and experience within a certain market. The downfall is that if the industry experiences a decline, you may end up rebranding.
- Specializing in a Niche. This strategy involves creating a service that your competitors do not have. It provides a competitive edge, can turn you into a leading company, and creates strong demand. People will come for your uniqueness. You will need to do your research beforehand to determine the level of demand to ensure it is a worthwhile endeavor.
- Cost-Driven Position. This can be very challenging in terms of a tagline unless you do have a strong financial advantage over your competition. The effective use of technology can boost your brand and cut costs or, conversely, leave you behind if you can’t back up your claim.
How Do I Create an Effective Tagline?
In creating a good tagline position, follow these steps:
- Begin with a statement on what your brand is trying to accomplish. This will drive growth.
- Research your consumer and your competitor. By identifying this, it can help your company grow by an additional 20% over those who skip this step.
- Identify what makes you different/sets you apart. These need to be provable, true, and relevant. The goal is to build trust.
- Translate what sets you apart into a tagline that informs people of your distinctiveness.
Your statement should read something like “At (company), a (describe who you are/what you do), we help (audience) (benefit). As (differentiator), we (benefit). People hire us because (evidence).”
From here, you can shorten it to an elevator pitch to develop your tagline. This will be a quick, memorable sentence that encapsulates who your company is and what makes you special. Your marketing then flows from there.